tragic backstories explain bad deeds but they do not excuse them
- tragic backstories explain bad deeds but they do not excuse them
A+ gif use
sexy inexplicable melancholy
I think the time is ripe to reblog this.
GODDAMN IT TUMBLR, CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US THEIR NAMES?!?!?
- Ching Shih was a prominent pirate in middle Qing China, who terrorized the China Sea in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates another estimate has Cheng’s fleet at 1800 and crew at about 80,000— men, women, and even children. She challenged the empires of the time, such as the British, Portuguese and the Qing dynasty. Undefeated, she would become one of China and Asia’s strongest pirates, and one of world history’s most powerful pirates. She was also one of the few pirate captains to retire from piracy.
- Nancy Wake (one of the few white women on this list; of course you put her name on the graphic…)
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Rukhsana Kausar
- The Gulabi gang (gulabi is Hindi for “pink”) was founded by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.Gulabis visit abusive husbands and threaten to beat them with laathis (sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. Al Jazeera reports there are 400,000 members across Northern India.
- Neejra Bhanot was just 22 when terrorists from the Abu Nidal Organization hijacked Pan Am Flight 73, where she was the senior flight purser. After 17 hours (and yes, hiding American passports to protect those passengers), when the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives, Bhanot opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She could have been the first to jump out when she opened the door but she decided not and was shot while shielding three children from a hail of bullets. Bhanot was recognized internationally as “the heroine of the hijack” and is the youngest recipient of the Ashok Chakra Award, India’s most prestigious gallantry award for bravery during peace time.
- Zainab Bibi, 42, allegedly told authorities she killed her husband Ahmad Abbas because he tried to sexually assault her 17-year-old daughter from another marriage.
- In September 2006, Susan Kuhnhausen found an intruder in her southeast Portland, OR home. “I saw a man step out of the shadows and he began to hit me in the head and the face with a hammer,” said Kuhnhausen. “I got the hammer and started hitting him with the hammer several times. My father, the carpenter, always taught me a hammer could be used for self defense — the claw end would work the best,” said Kuhnhausen. Kuhnhausen’s husband, Michael, had hired Ed Haffey to kill his wife.
- Seriously, fuck this one. The photo is of Parinya Chareonphol or Nong Thoom who is a kathoey, which many Thai believe to be a third gender (as opposed to the Western idea of ‘transgender’.) After a short time as a Buddhist monk, she took up Muy Thai kickboxing to support her parents and make enough money to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery, and basically kicked ass at it for several years. She was not “constantly made fun of before fights;” the Muy Thai community embraced her and her presence greatly revitalized both media and public interest in the sport, as shown by increased ticket sales and stadium revenue. The movie Beautiful Boxer was made about her, and she has recently acted in Mercury Man as well as continuing to kickbox. So yeah, fuck this one hard.
- Juliane Diller née Koepcke was the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 crash in 1971. Despite sustaining a broken collar bone, a deep gash to her right arm, a concussion and an eye injury in the fall, she was able to trek through the dense Amazon jungle for 10 days, until she was rescued by local lumbermen, who subsequently took her by canoe back to civilization. It was later discovered that as many as 14 other passengers also survived the initial fall from the disintegrated plane but were unable to seek help and died while awaiting rescue.
Seriously, guys, this took me like 20 minutes using Google and Wikipedia. These women are real people with real names and real stories. Please don’t reduce them to a picture (most of which came from Wikipedia in the first place oh my god i know you were there) and an “uplifting” story.
Look at these kickass women, and remember their names!!
They are so damn raw
WHOA WHOA WHOA.
But the minimum wage is set for teenagers with first jobs/ college students TO GET EXPERIENCE. Because a higher paying job isn’t going to higher you unless ypu have experience. AND YOU GET THAT EXPERIENCE BY WORKING AT MINIMUM PAYING JOBS. and the higher paying jobs are harder jobs which is why they get more money.
If you raise the minimum wage, then companies wont have the money to pay more employees so they look for the people with the most experience…
So if companies can only higher people with experience and you dont have any because companies DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY YOU??
well then you are never going to get a job.
And when the minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up.
And then we have the minimum wage earners complaining again.
So stop saying that the minimum wage needs to be raised because it doesnt.
What needs to happen is we need a better economy and thanks to obama, thats not going to happen for a while because obama doesn’t know what hes doing.
So if you want to make more money, get experience and a better paying job.
You’re a shitty economist buddy.
Less than 15% of minimum wage worker’s are teenagers (age 14-19), the rest are adults aged 20 and over (85.7%). So lets stop pretending that these jobs are meant for students. The economy is shit and unfortunately, people have to settle for low wages because the alternative often is unemployment.
Higher paying jobs doesn’t equate to ‘harder jobs’. Often, the higher a position is, the less labor you are required to do.
"And when the minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."
Inflation doesn’t necessarily work that way. Obviously, you’re just regurgitating the bullshit theories conservatives spew out while disregarding the statistics and history that proves otherwise. But since you’re using that argument, why not raise the minimum wage with the rise of inflation? Or productivity even?
If we had raised the minimum wage with the rise of productivity since 1968, it would currently be $21.72. In other words, we are creating far more and producing more profit for corporations, while being paid for a third of what we use to.
What do you have to say about that?
And raising the minimum wage to $10.10 will raise 1.7 million families out of poverty and reduce the need for them to use public assistance, saving the federal government $7.6 billion per year. Would you say you’re you against that?
The current federal minimum wage is $7.25. In none of the 50 states is that enough money to pay the average rent for a 2-bedroom apartment.
The minimum wage used to be able to keep a family of 3 above the poverty line. Now, the minimum wage can’t even keep a single parent working 40 hours a week, for an entire year without a single day off, above the poverty line.
When you raise the minimum wage, you’re putting more money into the pockets of the lower/working class. Their money is directly put back into the economy when the buy food, pay bills and generally spend their money. As oppose to higher paid people who have the luxury of saving their earnings. That means that businesses will generally make more money because the working class has more money to spend.
That’s my argument for raising the minimum wage, I would love to see your attempt to counter it.
"ummmmm ur bra strap is showing :/ "
i thought this was me at first and i was really confused
thIS WAS A POST ABOUT BRA STRAPS
wtf is going on